Every year popular brands and retailers continue to enter the adaptive clothing market with fashionable and creative designs for consumers.
- IZ Adaptive clothing– adaptive fashion for men and women
- Kohls adaptive– line for all ages and genders
- Koolway Sports– outerwear for wheelchair users
- MagnaReady– magnetic closure dress shirt for adults
- Silvert’s Adaptive Clothing and Footwear– for adults; a variety of adaptive clothing options
- Tommy Hilfiger’s Runway of Dreams– adaptive line for children
- Victory Adaptive– adaptive swimsuits for children
- Wowease Adaptive Swimwear– adaptive one piece swimwear for infant girls-women (magnetic closures at the waist)
Shoes for AFO Users and Conventional Shoe Accessories
- Billy Footwear– kids and adults universal shoe design
- Friendly Shoes– shoes for adults
- Gracious May– shoes and boots for children
- Hatchback Shoes – fashionable yet expensive footwear that is so much easier to put on if your child wears AFOs
- Nike’s Flyease– zipper and strap system for kids and adults
- Zappos– This online shoe retailer now has adaptive fashion including clothing and footwear for children and adults. They also offer single shoe purchases for selecting shoes of different sizes.
- Post surgery tearaway shorts have snaps on the sides of the shorts which allow for easy access for older children and/or adults. They offer multiple colors and are available in a pant option.
- Stride Rite and New Balance are mainstream shoes that are often mentioned by community members as compatible with their AFO and orthotics when they size up.
- Koolway Sports– Has KoolBoots
- Overshoes- These go over existing shoes-lots of options and manufacturers including NEOS which look like they have great traction and many options–older children and adult sizes only.
- Rugged Outback– Low cost mainstream boot with front that zippers down. This manufacturer offers a boot that has a front flap that opens so far down in the front that it makes it easy to remove the liner and use with AFOS. Available from Amazon and Payless (maybe others).
- Butler Rain boots– For kids, available in Canada
AFO Related Facebook Pages
- AFOwear– A page started by a mom with personal stories, lessons learned and her tips/solutions for everyday brace wear.
Socks for AFO Users
Trouble with Tying Shoes?
- Lock laces for kids and adults who do not want to wear velcro.
- Zubits– magnetic shoe closures
- Crawlings- Low profile knee pads that can prevent bruises and scrapes. They are vented in the back and come with a few different design options.
- Wrapeaze– Easy to put on and take off jacket-wraps
- Also check Target and Tommy Hilfiger’s adaptive clothing lines for adaptive jackets.
- Wristies– Keep your child’s hands warm but the fingers free to use.
Easier to put on Belts
- Myself Belts– A wonderful product that gives your child an opportunity to use a belt with more independence.
- Halosleep Sack– These sleep sacks are helpful when your child is unable to cover themselves. They have some with and without holes for the legs.
- Ortopad Patches – Disposable, sticky patches available in many patterns and colors that you place on your child’s eye.
The information from this page appears in our free and downloadable cerebral palsy tool kit.